Work Your Gift


Written by: Julz Mancini

To write your truth is something that takes courage. Through every obstacle we encounter, that experience is forever embedded in our minds; good, bad, and indifferent. "Complex Compositions" takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions and tribulations. From being the most raw form of yourself to embracing your flaws, spirituality, and the elephant in the room, Georgia Nubia, the author, not only shares her deepest, intimate thoughts, but also displays numerous pieces of artwork and photography throughout her book. She introduces her story to the reader by encouraging music to be played while you vibe with her. The reader can feel her presence from the moment they begin reading the first poem, "Life".

With everything going on in America regarding racism and police brutality, I found it imperative to share an excerpt from Georgia's poem titled, "The Un-Proud American":

          And sometimes I feel like Harriet, looking at my sister and brothers like let's go. Let's take                 flight. Cause I ain't proud to be an American. They never accepted us anyway. That's why still             today, the police are killing us. Black men, women, and children.

Anyone who does not understand or empathize with the trials and predicaments that the black community faces, should certainly read this poem to fully grasp the extent of the damage that has been done and continues to be done.

"Hello Queen" is Georgia's favorite poem. It is a feedback piece in which the author encourages you to read it to your daughter or any woman you know. This poem is a reminder to all of the black queens that they are beautiful; from their skin and hair to their uniqueness and strength.

Initially, this started out as many write ups do. Obtain information about the artist/author, read or listen to their work, and create a beautiful summary for an audience to acknowledge and share. However, as I was reading "Complex Compositions", it turned into so much more. As a white woman, I can not see through a black woman's eyes. I can not say I understand what it's like to live in her shoes. I can not say I know what it's like to be fearful and oppressed because of the color of my skin. By reading this beautiful work of art, it has helped me to see the life of a black woman; a black queen. That is what I want the reader to take from this article. There are so many layers within this body of work; happiness, confusion, fear, abuse, sincerity, and strength. I always tell people the hardest person to be in America is a black woman. Georgia Nubia has allowed me to step into her shoes and her world. I am thankful to have a better perspective. I am grateful that she has granted me access to the deepest parts of her life through her work. I encourage the reader to purchase "Complex Compositions" by Georgia Nubia; A book filled with the reality of a black queen.



CHECK OUT HER WEBSITE RIGHT HERE!
https://theheartofgeorgia.work/




Comments